How To Apply Your Vinyl Decal
So you finally received your awesome new vinyl decal from Battle Born Grafix. Now what? Here's a few tips to help you apply these awesome decals.
Dry Method, good for small decals, and seasoned pros.
Clean the application area with alcohol or soap & water.
Using a squeegee or credit card, press firmly on the decal to ensure that the decal sticks to the application transfer paper.
Peel the paper backing away from the decal very slowly.
Apply decal to cleaned area, pressing firmly using squeegee or credit card.
Slowly remove transfer paper. Be careful not to pull the decal away from the cleaned area. If decal starts to pull off, repeat step 4.
Admire your freaking sweet decal.
Do not apply in cold weather - adhesive may stick but will lift easily.
Do not apply in the middle of the day when it's hot and the sun is beating down on you - the vinyl get's soft and can stretch, ruining your decal.
If you used alcohol to clean the area, wait for it to dry - wet alcohol can damage the adhesive.
Do not touch the adhesive backing - oils from your skin will prevent sticking.
Car washes are safe.
Before application make sure there is no wax or rainx products on the surface.
Don't apply wax over graphics
PREPARING THE SURFACE:
Before applying the decal, make sure the area is clean and free of dirt and oil. Basically give the area a quick wipe down with some soapy water and dry it off with a lint free rag. I usually just wipe the area clean of dirt using a Clorox wipe or something like that and then wiping it down again with some rubbing alcohol.
APPLYING THE DECAL:
Our vinyl decals can be applied wet or dry. Applying a decal dry has some few drawbacks but is the quickest way to apply a small decal. Drawbacks include small error margin. Basically, if you mess up, there's no going back. Once the adhesive touches the surface it's not going anywhere. Also, for the first time user, air bubbles appear more frequently.
Applying wet takes a little bit longer, but yields the best results for medium to large decals. Air bubbles are easier to get out and you have a little bit more time to reposition the decal.
1. Measure where you want your decal to be. Then tape in place on 1 side - only to use as a hinge (using regular masking tape). Place your tape on the top, bottom or either side; however you feel more comfortable. Applying masking tape onto the clear transfer tape will not ruin your decal.
2. Peel the bottom WAXY LINER layer away from the DECAL and MASK LAYER. Start at the opposite side of the masking taped hinge, and slowly remove it.
3. Wet method is suggested for beginners and larger decals. To use the wet method placement, spray the smooth surface with a mixture of soap and water.
Wet Application Fluid: Wet method is how you install larger images with NO BUBBLES in it (and a MUST for frosted vinyl to ASSURE every bubble is removed), being wet allows your to squeegee out the air bubbles trapped inside before it sticks to the surface. You can make your own application fluid with 4 drops of dish washing liquid (dawn, joy, or baby shampoo etc.) to 1 quart of water in a spray bottle.
4. While still holding the PRE-MASK layer away from the smooth surface, use a squeegee, credit card or any plastic straight edge to help in application. Start from the side with the hinged-tape and gently work away from the tape and squeegee out all water and soap.
5. Use your squeegee and apply pressure from the middle to the outward sides - this will remove all water and start the decal adhesion. Let sit for 5 minutes before removing. If your decal appears to not be sticking the fluid is still behind the decal, just squeegee again and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
6. Now you're ready to pull off your PRE-MASK (clear transfer tape) layer and view your decal. Gently pull it off. If you see some vinyl start to come up with the PRE-MASK then lay it back down, squeegee, and wait a few minutes and try again.
Pop any air bubbles with a pin and rub down. Be sure that outer edges of decal are rubbed down smoothly and all liquid is forced out. This is essential for proper adhesion.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for decals damaged during transit or the application process. When applied properly, decals will last a very long time. Decals that encounter daily contact with objects (windshield wipers, snow scraper, cup holders, etc.) are prone to falling apart quickly. If you have any questions regarding installation, please contact us before attempting. Thank you!